When this site was launched, there was always the great debate as to whether there should or should not be a comments section. Given its tarnished image thanks to trolls and spammers, it has been seen as a place that harbors negativity and hatred. We’ve decided to the give the comments section a 2nd chance, but instead of just letting the comments run free like what happens on a viral YouTube video post, we are going to moderate comments based on these simple guidelines.
- Relevance – Irrelevant comments will be removed if they pose a great threat of derailing the general flow of the conversation, or if it strays too far away from the story’s topic.
- Respect for opinions – We are all entitled to an opinion, but we must remember to be respectful of others’ comments even if you don’t agree with their ideas.
- Keeping it mature – There is no place for foul and abusive language, or discrimination against others’ religions, races, genders, political views, and so on. If you find it hard to get your point across without letting a few expletives by, then your comments may be removed. Flame wars are also a no-no.
- Let’s keep it legal – Anything posted that is deemed to be illegal will be immediately removed. Potentially libelous or defamatory comments are also not acceptable by any means.
- Personal attacks – Conversations can get pretty heated sometimes, but that does not justify targeting someone (whether it be the author or another commentator).
- Marketing spam – There are those who post blatant marketing spam, but posting a proper comment with a link back to your website is equally just as bad.
Commentators found in violation of the above rules may be penalized by having their comments removed or being banned permanently. It should also be noted that threads close automatically after 30 days as to keep irrelevant discussions from popping up years later.
Maintaining a healthy comments section is an ongoing process of nipping and pruning. We do it to bring about beneficial discussions and in no way do we do it to prevent any one party from getting their voice heard. Be respectful, mature, and comment with quality in mind.