Here at Try Modern, we are working our way up to being the next big tech blog. We have a lot of ideas in mind, but of course, we need help to get there.
As we are still a very small website, we are looking for volunteer writers to help us achieve our goal. While we may not have much to offer on the financial side of things, we are certain we can make up for it in other areas.
What you can get out of this
- Experience – We understand that many newer writers are looking to put something worthwhile on their resumes, so why not start here?
- Exposure – Get acquainted with what goes on in the technology reporting industry.
- Access – Your credentials can get you press access to various tech events, resources, and much more that you may not have had before.
- Earn something for your hard work – While it’s not anything substantial, we still want you to at least cover your basic expenses. You will be paid US $0.01 per word. However you will be required to bring in a minimum of 10,000 unique page views per month to qualify for payment.
What we cover
As we are a general technology blog, there really is no limit on what you can cover, but we do ask that content be relevant and interesting. Some of the story types include:
- General news pieces
- How-To guides (must be related to recent events. For example, if Facebook announces encryption within its Messenger app, you can put together a guide on how to enable encryption in Messenger. A story on how to install Windows 95 really isn’t that a major point of interest anymore).
- Reviews (should be of interesting products. There’s a good chance that most general readers won’t be interested in an ink jet printer review or a review of a toilet seat warmer).
What we’re looking for
- We want writers who can report on various facets of technology, whether it be virtual reality, autonomous cars, gadgets, social media, and pretty much anything else tech related that is interesting.
- You will be required to write 3-5 articles per week (between Monday-Friday), but there are no specific work hours.
- You must be able to write proper English, so if your translating skills are not that good, then this isn’t the right place for you.
- You should be able to put together in-depth pieces. By that we mean that the main story should be covered, along with providing any other related or follow up information that may be useful to the reader. Stories should generally be around 250-300 words in length minimum (with room for exception of course). As for reviews, we have no minimum word limit, but we do expect a detailed analysis from top to bottom.
- Promotional skills would be of great benefit, as the more times your story is viewed, the more you get paid.
- We’re also looking for a team player. This is crucial especially in times when jointly covering major events (e.g. Apple launch, CES, and so on).
- A recent sample of your work.
- Link to your online presence related to technology (e.g. Twitter, podcasts, previous authorship, personal blog, etc.)
We look forward to your application!